CCC Collection - Promotion Pointers
The CCC collection is GOOD NEWS for YOUR diocese…50% of the funds collected are put to work in YOUR diocese! Here are some suggestions for creating some local interest or “buy-in” for the annual CCC Collection. The majority of dioceses will take the collection on the third Sunday in May. You’ll need to adjust the timing of your action steps depending upon YOUR collection date.
September-February (4-9 months prior to the Collection)
- Order collection materials; update parish information at CCC’s Web site.
- Review the results of last year’s collection; which parishes had an increase? Which need more promotion? Formulate a plan for increased promotional activity in three parishes.
- Review information on upcoming CCC programming. Plan bulletin and diocesan ads, Web site messages, radio announcements promoting the programs ALWAYS MENTION THE UPCOMING COLLECTION DATE, THE 50% THAT REMAINS IN THE DIOCESE.
- Talk to your pastors: prepare a presentation about the diocesan office, upcoming CCC programming for Deanery, Priest Council meeting. Ask for their help!
- Select a few key parishes with the potential for high collection totals. Identify a CCC spokesperson: perhaps a local media personality, media executive, Catholic author, etc…Ask that person to spearhead promotional efforts: talking to the pastor, making certain envelopes and promotional materials, bulletin announcements are timed to remind parishioners of the work of the CCC.
March-May (0-3 months prior to the Collection)
- Interview a local media personality for your local TV, radio, newspaper about their Catholic identity and their job in communications. Remember, PROMOTE THE CCC COLLECTION!
- Download the Editor’s Kit at CCC’s Web site; customize the Press Release and circulate to media outlets and church organizations (see Press Release Pointers).
- Email the pastors with suggested bulletin announcement copy for 1 week and 2 weeks prior to the collection date.
- Check with parish contacts to assure all requested material have arrived.
- Press coverage…it counts, make it happen, NOW!
- Contact CCC spokespersons: urge them to ask their pastors to promote the collection from the pulpit. Remind them that sermon tips and materials are available on CCC’s Web site.
JUNE-AUGUST (2-3 months after the Collection)
- Draft a bulletin announcement, press release for the diocesan paper, thanking contributors, sharing news of how the funding will be used.
- Email the pastors to express your thanks.
- Ask the bishop to sign letters of thanks to key spokespersons.
Formulate an ad for the diocesan paper, thanking ALL CONTRIBUTORS…and spokespersons, recognizing parishes with best (or increased) collection totals...
We welcome your comments and suggestions for additional tools that would be helpful.
Thank you for your support of the CCC.
Mary Mencarini Campbell, Director of Promotions
USCCB Office of National Collections