WASHINGTON (February 16, 2000) -- Scholarships are available for persons who need help in attending Encuentro 2000: Many Faces in God's House, the U.S. bishops' national Jubilee Year event slated for the Los Angeles Convention Center, July 6-9.
The scholarships are designed to give financial assistance to persons who otherwise would be unable to participate due to economic limitations.
According to Encuentro 2000 guidelines
- Priority will be given to persons who are members of low income families and members of under-represented groups.
- Local matching of scholarship amount is encouraged (i.e., from your parish, diocese, organization, or through fund raising efforts).
- Scholarships will be awarded on a first come first serve basis and will not exceed $500.
- Scholarships will be used for housing, meals, and registration.
- Travel funds must be secured by the participant.
Previous Encuentro meetings have focused on Hispanics in the Church. For the Jubilee Year 2000, however, the Bishops' Committee on Hispanic Affairs has sought to broaden its outreach by hosting the event for all groups.
Encuentro2000 will include key addresses by people from several nations as well as liturgies, workshops, an international food festival, music and dance by various ethnic groups and other celebrations to highlight the many faces of the Church.
More information on Encuentro 2000 can be found at www.Encuentro2000.org or by calling 202-541-3413.