WASHINGTON (June 16, 2003) -- The June General Meeting of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops will be held Thursday, June 19, to Saturday, June 21, 2003 at the Hyatt Regency Union Station in St. Louis.
To provide more time for processing amendments to the documents which are scheduled for a vote, the REVISED schedule is as follows:
Thursday Morning Session: Open to the news media and followed by a news conference dealing with the items presented at that session.
Thursday Afternoon: Executive Session not open to media.
Thursday Evening: News Briefing for media at 5:15 pm with Bishop Gregory.
ALL DAY FRIDAY: NOT open to news media. This is a change. The whole day will be devoted to the "Day of Prayerful Reflection for the Bishops," with no other business conducted.
SATURDAY MORNING: OPEN to news media. This is a change: Debate and vote on the National Directory for Catechesis and the National Directory for the Formation, Ministry and Life of Permanent Deacons in the United States and a brief report by the Ad Hoc Committee on Sexual Abuse on the implementation of the Charter.
There WILL be a news conference at the end of Saturday morning session dealing with items that were covered during that session.
In addition to the two documents and presentations already mentioned the agenda includes:
Presentation of proposals to allow committees to begin preparing the following:
- A foundational document offering theological and pastoral reflection and guidance on the formation and preparation of lay ecclesial ministers
- A document that will provide practical resources for implementing "From Words to Deeds" to promote collaboration between clergy and women
- A document which seeks to apply Catholic social teaching to the challenges affecting agriculture at this time
- A brief pastoral letter on the theology of mission based on "Redemptoris Missio"
- Native American Catholics
- New Covenant Initiative
- ICEL statutes
Thank you for your attention to this memorandum.