USCCB News Release
October 2, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Advisory for Broadcasters: Vatican Sets Telecast Info on Papal Christmas, Day of Peace Ceremonies
WASHINGTON-The Pontifical Council for Social Communications has released information for broadcasters regarding worldwide telecasts of the ceremonies presided over by Pope Benedict XVI on Christmas and New Year's Day.
- Wednesday, December 24, Christmas Eve, 22:55 - 00:35 hours UTC (GMT): Midnight Mass, presided over by Pope Benedict XVI in St. Peter's Basilica.
- Thursday, December 25, Christmas Day, 10:55 - 11:35 hours UTC (GMT) Christmas Message and Blessing "Urbi et Orbi" ("To the City of Rome and to the World") of Pope Benedict XVI from St. Peter's Square.
- Thursday, January 1, 2009, Solemnity of Mary Mother of God, 09:00 - 10:30 UTC (GMT), Mass, presided over by Pope Benedict XVI in St. Peter's Basilica on the occasion of the 42nd World Day of Peace.
TV networks and outlets that wish to take part in these broadcasts, offered with free worldwide access, may contact the satellite broadcast providers listed below.
- Eurovision-EBU (European Broadcasting Union), contact Eurovision World Feed Desk, Sara Alonso, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: +41 22 747 4822, Tel. +41 22 717 2822
- INTELSAT/PanAmSat, via Telespazio (Italy), contact Giacomo Salucci, Email: email@example.com FAX +39 06 407 1790; Tel. +39 06 4079 3487.
--Latin America: Satellite Provider/Broadcaster is:
- OTI (Organización de Telecomunicaciones Iberoamericanas); contact Director of Programs, Darío de la Peña, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; FAX +52 55 5980-8117; Tel. +52 55 5980-8112.
Details of exact satellites and frequencies will be posted on the Pontifical Council for Social Communications' operations website www.pccs.it/tj/telecasts.htm. The site also will offer texts and background information for TV producers and commentators. For those who cannot receive the transmissions with the above services, alternative satellite reception possibilities can be explored upon request (send email to email@example.com).
For the two Christmas broadcasts, TV commentaries from the Vatican will be provided by the Pontifical Council in English (by U.S. Cardinal John P. Foley, Grand Master of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher and former President of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications), Spanish and French, on the satellite audio channels. TV commentaries for the Mass on New Year's Day can be requested from Vatican Radio (firstname.lastname@example.org). Those seeking TV commentary positions in Vatican City should contact RAI Eurovision, Lucia Colafrancesco, Email: email@example.com; Fax +39 06 3317-0053; Tel. +39 06 3317-1151.
Those requiring further information may visit www.pccs.it/tj/telecasts.htm or contact the Council's satellite telecasts coordinator, Thaddeus Jones firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX +39 06 698 91810, Tel. +39 06 698 91840).