- U.S. Bishops, Congregation Meet On Higher Education Document (97-7197)
July 1, 1997
"Worthwhile" and "mutually helpful" described the June 26, 1997 meeting in Rome between the Congregation for Catholic Education and the committee of U.S. Bishops implementing Ex corde Ecclesiae, according to Cardinal Pio Laghi, prefect of the Congregation, and Bishop John J. Leibrecht of Springfield-Cape Girardeau, chair of the Implementation Committee.
- Independence Day Movies Short on Family Fare, According to Bishops' Toll-free Movie Review Line (97-148)
July 3, 1997
If you're trying to escape the summer heat in a cool theater this Independence Day weekend, the choices for families are limited, according to the U.S. Catholic Conference's toll-free move review line.
- Auxiliary Bishop Appointed for Archdiocese of Newark (97-149)
July 7, 1997
Pope John Paul II has named Monsignor Paul G. Bootkoski, Vicar for Priests and pastor of St. Gabriel the Archangel Church, Saddle River, New Jersey, to be Titular Bishop of Zarna and Auxiliary Bishop of Newark.
- Bp. Hughes Resigns in Metuchen; Msgr. Vincent Breen Is Successor (97-150)
July 8, 1997
Pope John Paul II accepted the resignation of Bishop Edward T. Hughes of Metuchen, New Jersey, and appointed Monsignor Vincent DePaul Breen, Director of the Office for Catholic Education of the Diocese of Brooklyn, as his successor.
- Two Auxiliary Bishops Appointed for Archdiocese of St. Louis (97-151)
July 8, 1997
Pope John Paul II has named two new Auxiliary Bishops for the Archdiocese of St. Louis. They are Monsignor Joseph F. Naumann, archdiocesan Vicar General, and Father Michael J. Sheridan, pastor of Immaculata Church, Richmond Heights, Missouri.
- Movies for Older Viewers Continue to Dominate on USCC 1-800 Movie Review Line (97-152)
July 11, 1997
Three new movie reviews join three returning from last week on the toll-free movie review line sponsored by the U.S. Catholic Conference, none of them suitable for younger audiences.
- USCC Official Says Remedy Needed to Protect Religious Freedom (97-153)
July 14, 1997
The General Counsel of the United States Catholic Conference (USCC) told the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the House Judiciary Committee that the USCC still advocates some legislative remedy to protect the religious freedom of all Americans.
- Share Gift of Time, Message of Public Service Ads Of Catholic Communication Campaign (97-154)
July 15, 1997
The message that A Little Time Makes a Big Difference will be blitzed throughout the media via a new series of public service messages from the Catholic Communication Campaign (CCC).
- Rule of Law Essential to Peace in Northern Ireland, Religious Leaders Tell British Ambassador (97-155)
July 16, 1997
Preventing a repeat of the recent sectarian violence associated with Northern Ireland's Orange Order marches will require that "serious issues of democratic governance and the rule of law" be addressed, two U.S. religious leaders advised the British ambassador to the United States in a letter yesterday.
- Vietnamese Catholic Congress to Hear from Archbishop Imprisoned for 13 Years (97-156)
July 18, 1997
Archbishop Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, who now works in the Vatican after spending 13 years in Vietnamese prisons, will lead several sessions at the third biennial Vietnamese Catholic Congress in Houston, July 21 to July 25.
- George of the Jungle Tops 1-800-311-4CCC Movie Review Line (97-157)
July 18, 1997
George of the Jungle leads the July 18-24 movies on the 1-800-311-4CCC movie-review line. Also included on the toll-free line is a review of Fun and Fancy Free, this week's suggested home video for family viewing.
- Archbishop Applauds Release of Report on Religious Persecution (97-160)
July 23, 1997
The chairman of the U.S. Catholic Conference's International Policy Committee welcomed the release of a new State Department report on persecution of Christians abroad, saying it "raises the curtain on the hidden reality of persecution."
- George of the Jungle Tops 1-800-311-4CCC Movie Review Line (97-161)
July 25, 1997
George of the Jungle leads the July 25-31 movies on the 1-800-311-4CCC movie-review line. Also included on the toll-free line is a review of The Swan Princess, this week's suggested home video for family viewing.
- Archbishop Condemns Bombing in Jerusalem (97-163)
July 30, 1997
Archbishop Theodore E. McCarrick, Chairman of the U.S. Catholic Conference's International Policy Committee, condemned today's double bombing in Jerusalem, calling it a "reprehensible act of terrorism."
- Institute for Interreligious Leadership Held (97-162)
July 31, 1997
The first Institute for Interreligious Leadership, under the joint sponsorship of the Bishops' Committee for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs and the National Association of Diocesan Ecumenical Officers, the network of Catholic diocesan personnel engaged in ecumenical and interreligious affairs, was held at Lakeshore Campus of Loyola University, Chicago, July 15-24.