As we approach the anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti, we join together with parishes, Catholic schools, youth groups, colleges and universities from across the country to remember the tragic events of that fateful afternoon and to respond in a faith-filled way.
We invite you and your group to pray and walk for nine days with other Catholics across the country using the Novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mother of the Americas. Start praying it on the evening of the anniversary, January 12, culminating with the celebration of Mass on the weekend when the Collection for Latin America including Haiti takes place.
Why Nine Days?The Church uses nine days as the traditional period of time for the devotional prayer called a “novena.” A novena is repeated nine successive times for special intentions, often focusing on hopeful mourning, yearning, and prayer.
Other Prayer Resources
- Parishes: PDF | From CRS
- Catholic Schools: PDF | From CRS
- Youth Groups: PDF | From CRS
- Colleges and Universities
For Further Reflection
- Dignity of the Human Person (Print resources)
- Global Poverty (Print resources)
- Migration (Print resources)
- Solidarity (Print resources)
- Stewardship (Print resources)
“One Church” Response in Haiti
- Haiti: One Page Background Information Sheet
- The Displaced of Haiti
- One Year After the Quake
- PROCHE: Hand in Hand with Haiti
- Haiti Quake Response
- Haiti Heroes Offer Thanks
How You Can Help