Although Colorado Springs is known as a prosperous resort, most of the territory of the Diocese of Colorado Springs is agricultural or mountainous, and poverty is widespread. As much as 40 miles separate rural parishes. Snow in the winter, and rock and mudslides in spring, impede and sometimes block travel in the mountains. Still, the Church in central Colorado is growing. In 1983, the Catholic population was about 65,000; it has nearly doubled since. Because Colorado Springs has relatively few priests, the diocese is trying to cope with growth by training qualified youth ministers and catechists, as well as by launching a comprehensive evangelization program in all its parishes. About 70 evangelical Christian organizations, including Focus on the Family, World Prayer Center and New Life Church, have their headquarters in Colorado Springs and its environs. To counter any efforts to lure away young people, the Diocese of Colorado Springs has active campus ministries at two area colleges and supports Catholic Young Adults of Colorado Springs, a growing organization of about 250 members.
The Diocese of Colorado Springs has:
- 166,602 Catholics
- 43 parishes and missions
- 27 active priests
228 N. Cascade Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Did You Know?
Gold was discovered in the California Gulch, now in the Diocese of Colorado Springs, in 1860 and silver a few years later. A town ultimately named Leadville sprang up as a result of the bonanza. Leadville’s early history was colorful indeed. The town boasted such notables as Doc Holliday, Baby Doe Tabor and “Soapy” Smith; was home for a time to the largest opera house between St. Louis and San Francisco; and survived the Lake County wars before things settled down upon the closing of the frontier. At one point, even Oscar Wilde was in town.