In October 2005 the Committee sponsored a colloquium at Creighton University entitled "Promoting and Sustaining Marriage as a Community of Life and Love." The colloquium brought together three theologians and three social scientist to explore, by means of prepared papers and subsequent discussion, the points of convergence and mutual reinforcement that both disciplines bring to the topic of marriage. The discussion was a collaborative search for ways that Catholic teaching and ministry can connect with the questions, needs, and aspirations of those contemplating marriage and those living it.
- Introductory remarks of Bishop Boland
- Colloquium Summary
- "Marriage as a Unitive and Procreative Partnership" by Dr. John Grabowski
- "The Lifecycle Stages of Marriage" by Sr. Barbara Markey, Ph.D.
- "Marriage as a Covenant and Sacrament" by Dr. Julie Hanlon Rubio
- "Patterns and Predictors of Success and Failure in Marriage" by Dr. Barbara Dafoe Whitehead
- "Seeking a Soulmate: A Social Scientific View of the Relationship Between Commitment and Authentic Intimacy" by Dr. W. Bradford Wilcox
- "Marriage as a 'School of Love'" by Dr. Wendy M. Wright