El matrimonio: El amor y la vida en el plan divino
U.S. Bishops’ Pastoral Letter on Marriage
In November 2009 the U.S. Catholic Bishops approved a pastoral letter called “Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan.” The letter presents the essential points of Catholic teaching on marriage as a natural gift, as a sacrament, and as a public commitment between a man and a woman. It also discusses several contemporary challenges to marriage and how the Church addresses those challenges.
Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan (full text)
- El Matrimonio: El Amor y la vida en el plan divino (en Español)
Study Version with Glossary (online only)
LEADERS’ GUIDE TO THE PASTORAL LETTER (link to text)
The Leaders’ Guide is an excellent resource for those who want to facilitate reflection and discussion on the pastoral letter—priests, deacons, pastoral ministers, and small group leaders. It includes suggestions on how to use the guide; presentations on the seven key themes; discussion and journaling questions; and a list of related resources. The guide includes the full text of the pastoral letter.
Handouts from the Guide (can be downloaded and duplicated for use with groups)
- Theme 1: A Natural and Supernatural Union
- Theme 2: Unique Union of a Man and a Woman
- Theme 3: Communion of Love and Life
- Theme 4: Sacrament of Christ's Love
- Theme 5: Foundation of the Family and Society
- Theme 6: Journey of Human and Spiritual Growth
- Theme 7: School of Love and Gratitude