December 09, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- 1 Son of man, stand up! I wish to speak with you.
- 2 As he spoke to me, spirit entered into me and set me on my feet, and I heard the one who was speaking
- say to me: Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, rebels who have rebelled against me; they and their fathers have revolted against me to this very day.
- Hard of face and obstinate of heart are they to whom I am sending you. But you shall say to them: Thus says the Lord GOD!
- And whether they heed or resist--for they are a rebellious house--they shall know that a prophet has been among them.
- 3 But as for you, son of man, fear neither them nor their words when they contradict you and reject you, and when you sit on scorpions. Neither fear their words nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house.
- (But speak my words to them, whether they heed or resist, for they are rebellious.)
- As for you, son of man, obey me when I speak to you: be not rebellious like this house of rebellion, but open your mouth and eat what I shall give you.
- It was then I saw a hand stretched out to me, in which was a written scroll
- which he unrolled before me. It was covered with writing front and back, and written on it was: Lamentation and wailing and woe!
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
1  Son of man: a formal way of saying simply "man"; God's habitual way of addressing the prophet throughout this book. Probably the title is used to emphasize the separation of the divine and the human.
2  Spirit: vital power, coming from God, which enables the prophet to hear the word of God; cf Ezekiel 8:3; 9:24; 11:1.
3  When you sit on scorpions: the prophet must be prepared for the bitterest opposition.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
USCCB Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000