December 09, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- 1 Hallelujah!
- Praise the LORD, my soul; I shall praise the LORD all my life, sing praise to my God while I live.
- I Put no trust in princes, in mere mortals powerless to save.
- When they breathe their last, they return to the earth; that day all their planning comes to nothing.
- Happy those whose help is Jacob's God, whose hope is in the LORD, their God,
- The maker of heaven and earth, the seas and all that is in them, Who keeps faith forever,
- secures justice for the oppressed, gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free;
- the LORD gives sight to the blind. The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
- The LORD protects the stranger, sustains the orphan and the widow, but thwarts the way of the wicked.
- The LORD shall reign forever, your God, Zion, through all generations! Hallelujah!
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
1 [Psalm 146] A hymn of someone who has learned there is no other source of strength except the merciful God. Only God, not mortal humans (Psalm 146:3-4), can help vulnerable and oppressed people (Psalm 146:5-9). The first of the five hymns that conclude the Psalter.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
USCCB Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000