December 09, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- 1 For the leader. Do not destroy! A psalm of Asaph; a song.
- 2 We thank you, God, we give thanks; we call upon your name, declare your wonderful deeds. You said:
- "I will choose the time; I will judge fairly.
- The earth and all its inhabitants will quake, but I have firmly set its pillars." Selah
- 3 So I say to the boastful: "Do not boast!" to the wicked: "Do not raise your horns!
- Do not raise your horns against heaven! Do not speak arrogantly against the Rock!"
- For judgment comes not from east or from west, not from the desert or from the mountains,
- But from God who decides, who brings some low and raises others high.
- 4 Yes, a cup is in the LORD'S hand, foaming wine, fully spiced. When God pours it out, they will drain it even to the dregs; all the wicked of the earth must drink.
- But I will rejoice forever; I will sing praise to the God of Jacob,
- Who has said: "I will break off all the horns of the wicked, but the horns of the just shall be lifted up."
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
1 [Psalm 75] The psalmist gives thanks and rejoices (Psalm 75:2, 10) for the direct intervention of God, which is promised in two oracles (3-4,11). Expecting that divine intervention, the psalmist warns evildoers to repent (Psalm 75:5-9).
2  You said: supplied for clarity here and in Psalm 75:11. The translation assumes in both places that the psalmist is citing an oracle of God.
3  Do not raise your horns!: the horn is the symbol of strength; to raise one's horn is to exalt one's own power as Psalm 75:5 explains.4 A cup: "the cup of God's wrath" is the punishment inflicted on the wicked. Cf Isaiah 51:17; Jeremiah 25:15-29; 49:12; Ezekiel 23:31-33. Spiced: literally, "a mixed drink"; spices or drugs were added to wine. Cf Proverb 9:2, 5.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
USCCB Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000