- 1 2 The following were the sons of David who were born to him in Hebron: the first-born, Amnon, by Ahinoam of Jezreel; the second, Daniel, by Abigail of Carmel;
- the third, Absalom, son of Maacah, who was the daughter of Talmai, king of Geshur; the fourth, Adonijah, son of Haggith;
- the fifth, Shephatiah, by Abital; the sixth, Ithream, by his wife Eglah.
- Six in all were born to him in Hebron, where he reigned seven years and six months. Then he reigned thirty-three years in Jerusalem,
- 3 where the following were born to him: Shimea, Shobab, Nathan, Solomon--four by Bathsheba, the daughter of Ammiel;
- Ibhar, Elishua, Eliphelet,
- Nogah, Nepheg, Japhia,
- Elishama, Eliada, and Eliphelet--nine.
- All these were sons of David, in addition to other sons by concubines; and Tamar was their sister.
- 4 The son of Solomon was Rehoboam, whose son was Abijah, whose son was Asa, whose son was Jehoshaphat,
- whose son was Joram, whose son was Ahaziah, whose son was Joash,
- whose son was Amaziah, whose son was Azariah, whose son was Jotham,
- whose son was Ahaz, whose son was Hezekiah, whose son was Manasseh,
- whose son was Amon, whose son was Josiah.
- 5 The sons of Josiah were: the first-born Johanan; the second, Jehoiakim; the third, Zedekiah; the fourth, Shallum.
- The sons of Jehoiakim were: Jeconiah, his son; Zedekiah, his son.
- 6 The sons of Jeconiah the captive were: Shealtiel,
- 7 Malchiram, Pedaiah, Shenazzar, Jekamiah, Shama, and Nedabiah.
- 8 The sons of Pedaiah were Zerubbabel and Shimei. The sons of Zerubbabel were Meshullam and Hananiah; Shelomith was their sister.
- The sons of Meshullam were Hashubah, Ohel, Berechiah, Hasadiah, Jushabhesed--five.
- The sons of Hananiah were Pelatiah, Jeshaiah, Rephaiah, Arnan, Obadiah, and Shecaniah.
- The sons of Shecaniah were Shemiah, Hattush, Igal, Bariah, Neariah, Shaphat--six.
- The sons of Neariah were Elioenai, Hizkiah, and Azrikam--three.
- The sons of Elioenai were Hodaviah, Eliashib, Pelaiah, Akkub, Johanan, Delaiah, and Anani--seven.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [1-9] David's sons. 2 Daniel: called Chileab in 2 Sam 3:3.
3 Shimea: called Shammua in 2 Sam 5:14. Ammiel: called Eliam in 2 Sam 11:3.
4 [10-16] The kings of Judah from Solomon to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians.
5 Shallum: the same as Jehoahaz, Josiah's successor; cf Jer 22:11.
6 [17-24] The descendants of King Jechoniah up to the time of the Chronicler. If twenty-five years are allowed to each generation, the ten generations between Jechoniah and Anani (the last name on the list) would bring the birth of the latter to about 405 B.C.--an important item in establishing the approximate date of the Chronicler.
7 Shenazzar: presumably the same as Sheshbazzar of Ezra 1:8,11; 5:14-16 the prince of Judah who was the first Jewish governor of Judah after the exile. Both forms of the name probably go back to the Babylonian name Sin-ab-ussar signifying, "O [god] Sin, protect [our] father!"
8 Zerubbabel: here called the son of Pedaiah, though elsewhere (Haggai 1:12,14; 2:2,23; Ezra 3:2,8; 5:2; Neh 12:1) called son of Shealtiel. The latter term may merely mean that Zerubbabel succeeded Shealtiel as head of the house of David.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000