- Thus the word of the LORD came to me:
- Son of man, now say: Thus says the Lord GOD to the land of Israel: An end! The end has come upon the four corners of the land!
- Now the end is upon you; I will unleash my anger against you and judge you according to your conduct and lay upon you the consequences of all your abominations.
- I will not look upon you with pity nor have mercy; I will bring your conduct down upon you, and the consequences of your abominations shall be in your midst; then shall you know that I am the LORD.
- Thus says the Lord GOD: Disaster upon disaster! See it coming!
- An end is coming, the end is coming upon you! See it coming!
- The climax has come for you who dwell in the land! The time has come, near is the day: a time of consternation, not of rejoicing.
- Soon now I will pour out my fury upon you and spend my anger upon you; I will judge you according to your conduct and lay upon you the consequences of all your abominations.
- I will not look upon you with pity nor have mercy; I will deal with you according to your conduct, and the consequences of your abominations shall be in your midst; then shall you know that it is I, the LORD, who strike.
- See, the day of the LORD! See, the end is coming! Lawlessness is in full bloom, insolence flourishes,
- violence has risen to support wickedness. It shall not be long in coming, nor shall it delay.
- 1 The time has come, the day dawns. Let not the buyer rejoice nor the seller mourn, for wrath shall be upon all the throng.
- The seller shall not regain what he sold as long as he lives, for wrath shall be upon all the throng. Because of his sins, no one shall preserve his life.
- They shall sound the trumpet and make everything ready, yet no one shall go to war, for my wrath is upon all the throng.
- The sword is outside; pestilence and hunger are within. He that is in the country shall die by the sword; pestilence and famine shall devour those in the city.
- Even those who escape and flee to the mountains like the doves of the valleys--I will put them all to death, each one for his own sins.
- All their hands shall be limp, and all their knees shall run with water.
- 2 They shall put on sackcloth, and horror shall cover them; shame shall be on all their faces and baldness on all their heads.
- They shall fling their silver into the streets, and their gold shall be considered refuse. Their silver and gold cannot save them on the day of the LORD'S wrath. They shall not be allowed to satisfy their craving or fill their bellies, for this has been the occasion of their sin.
- In the beauty of their ornaments they put their pride: they made of them their abominable images (their idols). For this reason I make them refuse.
- I will hand them over as booty to foreigners, to be spoiled and defiled by the wicked of the earth.
- 3 I will turn away my face from them, and my treasure shall be profaned: robbers shall enter and profane it.
- They shall wreak slaughter, for the land is filled with bloodshed and the city full of violence.
- I will bring in the worst of the nations, who shall take possession of their houses. I will put an end to their proud strength, and their sanctuaries shall be profaned.
- When anguish comes they shall seek peace, but there will be none.
- There shall be disaster after disaster, rumor after rumor. Prophetic vision shall fade; instruction shall be lacking to the priest, and counsel to the elders,
- while the prince shall be enveloped in terror, and the hands of the common people shall tremble. I will deal with them according to their conduct, and according to their judgments I will judge them; thus they shall know that I am the LORD.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [12-13] Mundane affairs will cease to have any meaning in view of the disaster that is to come.
2 Baldness: shaving the head was a sign of mourning.
3 My treasure: the temple of Jerusalem.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000