- A psalm of David. 1 I sing of love and justice; to you, LORD, I sing praise.
- 2 I follow the way of integrity; when will you come to me? I act with integrity of heart within my royal court.
- I do not allow into my presence anyone who speaks perversely. Whoever acts shamefully I hate; no such person can be my friend.
- I shun the devious of heart; the wicked I do not tolerate.
- Whoever slanders another in secret I reduce to silence. Haughty eyes and arrogant hearts I cannot endure.
- 3 I look to the faithful of the land; they alone can be my companions. Those who follow the way of integrity, they alone can enter my service.
- No one who practices deceit can hold a post in my court. No one who speaks falsely can be among my advisors.
- 4 Each morning I clear the wicked from the land, and rid the LORD'S city of all evildoers.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 101] The king, grateful at being God's chosen (Psalm 100:1), promises to be a ruler after God's own heart (Psalm 100:2-3), allowing into the royal service only the God-fearing (Psalm 100:3-8).
2 Within my royal court: the king promises to make his own household a model for Israel, banning all officials who abuse their power.
3 I look to the faithful of the land: the king seeks companions only among those faithful to God.
4 Each morning: the normal time for the administration of justice (2 Sam 15:2; Jer 21:12) and for the arrival of divine aid (Psalm 59:17; 143:8; Isaiah 33:2). I clear the wicked from the land: the king, as God's servant, is responsible for seeing that divine justice is carried out.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000