- 1 Hallelujah! 2 Happy are those who fear the LORD, who greatly delight in God's commands.
- Their descendants shall be mighty in the land, generation upright and blessed.
- 3 Wealth and riches shall be in their homes; their prosperity shall endure forever.
- They shine through the darkness, a light for the upright; they are gracious, merciful, and just.
- All goes well for those gracious in lending, who conduct their affairs with justice.
- They shall never be shaken; the just shall be remembered forever.
- They shall not fear an ill report; their hearts are steadfast, trusting the LORD.
- Their hearts are tranquil, without fear, till at last they look down on their foes.
- 4 Lavishly they give to the poor; their prosperity shall endure forever; their horn shall be exalted in honor.
- The wicked shall be angry to see this; they will gnash their teeth and waste away; the desires of the wicked come to nothing.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 112] An acrostic poem detailing the blessings received by those who remain close to God by obedience to the commandments. Among their blessings are children (Psalm 112:2), wealth that enables them to be magnanimous (Psalm 112:3,5,9), and virtue by which they encourage others (Psalm 112:4). The just person is an affront to the wicked, whose hopes remain unfulfilled (Psalm 112:10). The logic resembles Psalms 1; 111. 2 Happy are those: literally, "Happy the person." "Person" is used typically, hence the plural translation.
3 Prosperity: literally, "justice." In the Second Temple Period the word acquired the nuance of liberality and almsgiving. Cf Sirach 3:30; 7:10; Matthew 6:1-4.
4 Their horn: the symbol for vitality and honor.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000