- Hallelujah! 1 Praise, you servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD.
- Blessed be the name of the LORD both now and forever.
- From the rising of the sun to its setting let the name of the LORD be praised.
- High above all nations is the LORD; above the heavens God's glory.
- Who is like the LORD, our God enthroned on high,
- looking down on heaven and earth?
- The LORD raises the needy from the dust, lifts the poor from the ash heap,
- Seats them with princes, the princes of the people,
- Gives the childless wife a home, the joyful mother of children. Hallelujah!
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 113] A hymn exhorting the congregation to praise God's name, i.e., the way in which God is present in the world; the name is mentioned three times in Psalm 113:1-3. The divine name is especially honored in the temple (Psalm 113:1) but its recognition is not limited by time (Psalm 113:2) and space (Psalm 113:3), for God is everywhere active (Psalm 113:4-5) especially in rescuing the lowly faithful (Psalm 113:7-9).
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000