- Hallelujah! 1 Praise the LORD from the heavens; give praise in the heights.
- Praise him, all you angels; give praise, all you hosts.
- Praise him, sun and moon; give praise, all shining stars.
- 2 Praise him, highest heavens, you waters above the heavens.
- Let them all praise the LORD'S name; for the LORD commanded and they were created,
- Assigned them duties forever, gave them tasks that will never change.
- Praise the LORD from the earth, you sea monsters and all deep waters;
- You lightning and hail, snow and clouds, storm winds that fulfill his command;
- You mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars;
- You animals wild and tame, you creatures that crawl and fly;
- You kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all who govern on earth;
- Young men and women too, old and young alike.
- Let them all praise the LORD'S name, for his name alone is exalted, majestic above earth and heaven.
- 3The LORD has lifted high the horn of his people; to the glory of all the faithful, of Israel, the people near to their God. Hallelujah!
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 148] A hymn inviting the beings of heaven (Psalm 148:1-6) and of earth (Psalm 148:7-14) to praise God. The hymn does not distinguish between inanimate and animate (and rational) nature.
2 Highest heavens: literally, "the heavens of the heavens," i.e., the space above the firmament, where the "upper waters" are stored. Cf Genesis 1:6-7; Deut 10:14; 1 Kings 8:27; Psalm 104:3,13.
3 The LORD has lifted high the horn of his people: horn = strength, the concrete noun for the abstract. Of all peoples God has chosen Israel to return praise and thanks in a special way.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000