- 1 For the leader. A psalm of David.
- LORD, the king finds joy in your power; in your victory how greatly he rejoices!
- You have granted him his heart's desire; you did not refuse the prayer of his lips. Selah
- For you welcomed him with goodly blessings; you placed on his head a crown of pure gold.
- He asked life of you; you gave it to him, length of days forever.
- Great is his glory in your victory; majesty and splendor you confer upon him.
- You make him the pattern of blessings forever, you gladden him with the joy of your presence.
- For the king trusts in the LORD, stands firm through the love of the Most High.
- Your hand will reach all your enemies; your right hand will reach your foes!
- At the time of your coming you will drive them into a furnace. Then the LORD'S anger will consume them, devour them with fire.
- Even their descendants you will wipe out from the earth, their offspring from the human race.
- Though they intend evil against you, devising plots, they will not succeed,
- For you will put them to flight; you will aim at them with your bow.
- Arise, LORD, in your power! We will sing and chant the praise of your might.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 The first part of this royal psalm is a thanksgiving (Psalm 21:2-8), and the second is a promise that the king will triumph over his enemies (Psalm 21:9-13). The king's confident prayer (Psalm 21:3-5) and trust in God (Psalm 21:8) enable him to receive the divine gifts of vitality, peace, and military success. Psalm 21:13(14) reprises Psalm 21:2. When kings ceased in Israel after the sixth century B.C., the psalm was sung of a future Davidic king.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000