- 1A psalm of David. 2 The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
- In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
- 3 you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
- 4 Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
- 5 You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
- 6 Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 23] God's loving care for the psalmist is portrayed under the figures of a shepherd for the flock (Psalm 23:1-4) and a host's generosity toward a guest (Psalm 23:5-6). The imagery of both sections is drawn from traditions of the exodus (Isaiah 40:11; 49:10; Jer 31:10). 2 My shepherd: God as good shepherd is common in both the Old Testament and the New Testament (Ezekial 34:11-16; John 10:11-18).
3 The right path: connotes "right way" and "way of righteousness."
4 A dark valley: a different division of the Hebrew consonants yields the translation "the valley of the shadow of death."
5 You set a table before me: this expression occurs in an exodus context in Psalm 78:19. As my enemies watch: my enemies see that I am God's friend and guest. Oil: a perfumed ointment made from olive oil, used especially at banquets (Psalm 104:15; Matthew 26:7; Luke 7:37, 46; John 12:2).
6 Goodness and love: the blessings of God's covenant with Israel.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000