- Of David. To you, LORD, I call; my Rock, do not be deaf to me. If you fail to answer me, I will join those who go down to the pit.
- 1 Hear the sound of my pleading when I cry to you, lifting my hands toward your holy place.
- Do not drag me off with the wicked, with those who do wrong, Who speak peace to their neighbors though evil is in their hearts.
- Repay them for their deeds, for the evil that they do. For the work of their hands repay them; give them what they deserve.
- They pay no heed to the LORD'S works, to the deeds of God's hands. God will tear them down, never to be rebuilt.
- 2 Blessed be the LORD, who has heard the sound of my pleading.
- The LORD is my strength and my shield, in whom my heart trusted and found help. So my heart rejoices; with my song I praise my God.
- 3 LORD, you are the strength of your people, the saving refuge of your anointed king.
- Save your people, bless your inheritance; feed and sustain them forever!
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 Your holy place: the innermost part of the temple, the holy of holies, containing the ark. Cf 1 Kings 6:16,19-23; 8:6-8.
2 The psalmist shifts to fervent thanksgiving, probably responding to a priestly or prophetic oracle in Psalm 28:5cd (not usually transmitted) assuring the worshiper that the prayer has been heard.
3 Your people . . . your anointed king: salvation is more than individual, affecting all the people and their God-given leader.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000