- 1 For the leader. A psalm of the Korahites.
- All you peoples, clap your hands; shout to God with joyful cries.
- For the LORD, the Most High, inspires awe, the great king overall the earth,
- Who made people subject to us, brought nations under our feet,
- 2 Who chose a land for our heritage, the glory of Jacob, the beloved. Selah
- 3 God mounts the throne amid shouts of joy; the LORD, amid trumpet blasts.
- Sing praise to God, sing praise; sing praise to our king, sing praise.
- God is king over all the earth; sing hymns of praise.
- God rules over the nations; God sits upon his holy throne.
- The princes of the peoples assemble with the people of the God of Abraham. For the rulers of the earth belong to God, who is enthroned on high.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 47] A hymn calling on the nations to acknowledge the universal rule of Israel's God (Psalm 47:2-5) who is enthroned as king over Israel and the nations (Psalm 47:6-9).
2 Our heritage . . . the glory: the land of Israel (cf Isaiah 58:14), which God has given Israel in an act of sovereignty.
3 God mounts the throne: "has gone up to the throne," according to the context (Psalm 47:9). Christian liturgical tradition has applied the verse to the ascension of Christ.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000