- 1 For the leader; according to Mahalath. A maskil of David.
- Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God." Their deeds are loathsome and corrupt; not one does what is right.
- God looks down from heaven upon the human race, To see if even one is wise, if even one seeks God.
- All have gone astray; all alike are perverse. Not one does what is right, not even one.
- Will these evildoers never learn? They devour my people as they devour bread; they do not call upon God.
- They have good reason to fear, though now they do not fear. For God will certainly scatter the bones of the godless. They will surely be put to shame, for God has rejected them.
- Oh, that from Zion might come the deliverance of Israel, That Jacob may rejoice and Israel be glad when God restores the people!
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 53] A lament of an individual, duplicated in Psalm 14, except that "God" is used for "the Lord," and Psalm 53:6 is different. See under Psalm 14.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000