- 1 For the leader. A psalm of David.
- O God, hear my anguished voice; from the foes I dread protect my life.
- Hide me from the malicious crowd, the mob of evildoers.
- They sharpen their tongues like swords, ready their bows for arrows of poison words.
- 2 They shoot at the innocent from ambush, shoot without risk, catch them unawares.
- They resolve on their wicked plan; they conspire to set snares; they say: "Who will see us?"
- They devise wicked schemes, conceal the schemes they devise; the designs of their hearts are hidden.
- But God will shoot arrows at them and strike them unawares.
- They will be brought down by their own tongues; all who see them will shake their heads.
- Then all will fear and proclaim God's deed, pondering what has been done.
- The just will rejoice and take refuge in the LORD; all the upright will glory in their God.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [Psalm 64] A lament of a person overwhelmed by the malice of the wicked who are depicted in the psalms as the enemies of the righteous (Psalm 64:2-7). When people see God bringing upon the wicked the evil they intended against others, they will know who is the true ruler of the world (Psalm 64:8-10) The final verse is a vow of praise (Psalm 64:10 ).
2 Catch them unawares: literally, "suddenly," i.e., "unexpectedly."
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000