- 1 Rely not on your wealth; say not: "I have the power."
- Rely not on your strength in following the desires of your heart.
- Say not: "Who can prevail against me?" for the LORD will exact the punishment.
- Say not: "I have sinned, yet what has befallen me?" for the LORD bides his time.
- Of forgiveness be not overconfident, adding sin upon sin.
- Say not: "Great is his mercy; my many sins he will forgive."
- For mercy and anger alike are with him; upon the wicked alights his wrath.
- Delay not your conversion to the LORD, put it not off from day to day;
- For suddenly his wrath flames forth; at the time of vengeance, you will be destroyed.
- Rely not upon deceitful wealth, for it will be no help on the day of wrath.
- 2 Winnow not in every wind, and start not off in every direction.
- 3 Be consistent in your thoughts; steadfast be your words.
- Be swift to hear, but slow to answer.
- If you have the knowledge, answer your neighbor; if not, put your hand over your mouth.
- Honor and dishonor through talking! A man's tongue can be his downfall.
- Be not called a detractor; use not your tongue for calumny;
- For shame has been created for the thief, and the reproach of his neighbor for the double-tongued.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
Footnotes1 [1-10] The vices of the rich are pride and independence (Sirach 5:1-2), presumption (Sirach 5:3), false security (Sirach 5:4-7), and impenitence (Sirach 5:8), which cannot escape the divine wrath (Sirach 5:9, 10). Cf Prov 18:23; 19:1; 28:6.
2 A proverbial expression condemning inconstancy and advocating sincerity and honesty.
3 [5:12-6:1] Proper use of the tongue requires constancy in speech (Sirach 5:12), prudence (Sirach 5:13-14), reserve (Sirach 5:15), charity (Sirach 6:1), as well as the avoidance of detraction, calumny (Sirach 6:16), and double talk, which bring shame and disgrace (Sirach 5:15; 6:1).
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
NCCB/USCC Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000